Friday, May 08, 2009

Getting the hang of it

D: All right, so I admit that sometimes I can get a little panicky. When times are tough, I tend to think that they will ALWAYS be tough. Which of course, is NEVER the case.

We are well into our second week of the boys' transition to their toddler beds and things have gotten much better. The boys turned the corner, actually only a few nights into it, but I've been putting off writing this post, since I really didn't want to jinx it.

But I must say, since introducing the toddler beds, bedtime has come much more peaceful. Once they got the hang of it, we haven't had a single night where they have 'cried it out'. They just seem to understand the routine better... which has become a little more 'sleepy-time' centered, with long quite reading and then laying with the boys next to their beds in the dark whispering quite "goodnight, I love you"s.

There are still a few nights here and there that they will get up, no matter how much time we spend with them before we leave. But I just go back in, quietly, tell them that it's bed time and they need to sleep in their beds now and put them both back to bed. Usually they are hiding in the closet, or (recently) I found them both under the rocking chair. It's still a little mischievous, but at least it's not crazy, full of energy antics. More like quite giggles.

However, as I said, I'm not holding my breath on this one. I've definitely learned that sleep is not something that I can count on. And like all transitions, they Deuce are just going to be leading the way while I follow blindly, scratching my head in confusion and calling out 'mercy'!

Posted by Walker Lockhart @ 12:14 PM

Read or Post a Comment

Great news that the boys are getting the hang of it! I'm not sure what it is about the "magic" of the toddler bed, but our bedtime routine is a little more peaceful as well. Whatever the "magic", I'll take it!

And you so hit the nail on the head...I can't even count the number of times I've said, "I can't do this!" during a difficult stage...and funny that 100% of those times are centered around sleep.

I hope the trend continues!

Posted by Blogger The Adventures of Carrie, Brook, Finn and Reid @ Sunday, May 10, 2009 10:36:00 PM #
 
<< Home