Sunday, November 02, 2008

Happy Holloween

So much of being a parent is about reliving your youth through your children's experiences. Holidays such as Halloween are probably as successful as they because of this reason alone. And sure enough, this Halloween I felt a little closer to my memories and what this holiday used to be all about: cheesy costumes, mass amounts of candy consumption, getting carted around all over town by mom. Although, I gotta tell ya, it's a whole lot more exhausting being the mom!

Here's how our fright fest went down:

2 months ago I think I'm way ahead of the game by purchasing two costumes from Costco for the boys.

2 days before Halloween I pull out the Costco costumes and realize they no longer fit.

1 day before Halloween I rush back to Costco, grab the only two costumes they had left in their size. Once I’m home I realized they do not fit either.

The night before Halloween I rush to Toys R Us (my version of hell). I, along with a few other last minute mothers frantically sort through a huge pile of left over 1/2 price costumes. The only 3 costumes I could find in their size were a chicken, a dinosaur and a super girl costume. That's right, super GIRL. I cut the skirt off, but it certainly didn't make it any less feminine (he definitely had some midriff showing, and his cape and boots were very sparkly). I was really hoping the Dino and Chicken costume would fit.

The next morning, after a slight struggle, I transformed O into a tyrannosaurus rex minus the head. F, on the other hand wouldn't go near the chicken costume with a ten-foot poll. The super girl outfit was also a no-go, until after naptime, when I snuck it on during a groggy diaper change.

Our Halloween adventures included preschool in the morning (North end of town), trick-or-treating at Dad's office (South end of town), trick-or-treating in our friend's neighborhood (North end of town), then finishing off the trick-or-treating at my mom's house (Even farther North of town) before carting our little gremlins to bed well over an hour past their bed time.

Although it was an exhausting day, we all had a good time. It was fun to watch the boys experience the enjoyment of Halloween.

2996756072_79517b7dff

2995918771_4515550dcd

2996757652_135c4d9af0

Posted by Walker Lockhart @ 2:06 PM

Read or Post a Comment

That was the funniest post. Glad to hear you Halloween was fun, and only a tad stressful. I'm a nanny here in Seattle and it's been fun watching the kids get transformed into all kinds of funny animals, characters, and everything in between!

Cheers!

Alison

Posted by Anonymous Anonymous @ Sunday, November 02, 2008 5:05:00 PM #
 
<< Home