Sunday, May 18, 2008

A matter of convenience

With grocery and gas prices soaring, everyone's talking about how to cut down on $$. On one hand, you’d want to shop as close to home as possible to save on gas money. On the other hand, the closest grocery store may also be the most expensive in town. And with two additional hungry mouths to feed I am learning that we are not just buying more food, but everything about the way we are shopping has changed.

For instance, before the Deuce, I never spent much time in the middle isles. I was a quick-lap-around-the-outside kind of shopper and rarely stocked my shelves with anything in a box. Now, my pantry is full of convenient boxed foods (crackers, mac and cheese, soups, cereal bars, etc.), and that stuff is NOT cheap! And until I can find a way to consistently prepare toddler food quickly using only fresh meat and veggies I will be frequently perusing the middle isles for a few more years at least.

Besides penny pinching, another factor that is determining my choice of grocery stores is convenience. I remember the days when the babies were tucked snug into their infant stroller seats as I confidently strolled down any isle with ease while filling the basket below. Times have changed and quick, grabby hands have made it nearly impossible to take the double side-by-side stroller down the isles without boxes flying off the shelves on either side of me.

Thankfully I live close to three different grocery stores that attempt to cater to families with multiples.

Here is a picture of our Au Pair steering our wide load down the isles of QFC:

2372794262_cdeb3d2c48


Unfortunately, the only double-kiddo stroller they have has two broken straps making it no where near a safe ride. I’ve complained to the management about it several times, but they just don’t seem to make it a priority. (Can I get a “BOO”?!)

Safeway’s got an adorable plastic car attached to the front end of their cart. I think the store by my place has at least 2, which saves me from circling outside waiting for the double-kiddo stroller to become available (another QFC frustration).

IMG_0143


IMG_0144


The only problem I have with this contraption is it’s length. Imagine steering a shopping cart with an additional 4 feet of yellow plastic racing car on the end of it down a crowded shopping isle… yeah, it’s tough. Also, the kids are really far away from me, leaving me relatively helpless when I’m standing in the check out line and one of my children (8 feet ahead of me) begins to pull on the skirt of the women ahead of us.


The winner,so far, has to be Fred Meyer’s double-kiddo cart. It doesn’t ad length, the kids are where I can see (and control) them, and it looks pretty stinkin’ cute.

IMG_0299


Notice the Deuce picking up on their mom’s relaxed attitude, as they kick their feet up on the steering wheels end enjoy the ride!
IMG_0296


IMG_0294

Posted by Walker Lockhart @ 3:58 PM

Read or Post a Comment

Super cute! Yeah, I'm finding things very different now that my kids are capable of sitting in the shopping cart. Going to BJ's to get the huge boxes of diapers no longer has to wait for M to be home! That, or the few times I went and attempted to balance the box on the snap & go and the carseats... Not a super mom moment.

Posted by Blogger Liz Jimenez @ Monday, May 19, 2008 7:12:00 AM #
 

I love experimenting with all the different carts for the twins. Unfortunately our cheapest grocery store has broken straps on almost all of their double carts, grrrrr. Very frustrating. I also have to take my eldest with me to push a stroller when we shop at places that don't have the doubles.

You have the cutest kids :)

Posted by Blogger Tonya Staab @ Monday, May 19, 2008 11:18:00 AM #
 

We have similiar buggy's at Winn Dixie. I love the ones like the blue one. Ours here are red. Only prob for me is it is a 45 minute drive to the store. I hate WalMarts contraptions, and usually either push the stroller and a buggy and have everyone with me, or leave everyone home with the husband! LOL

Posted by Blogger Brandi @ Monday, May 19, 2008 2:09:00 PM #
 

oh this is excellent!

Posted by Blogger Jill @ Monday, May 19, 2008 7:58:00 PM #
 

How awesome. Reading your blog allows me to think about things before I need to do them. My twins are almost 12 months. Though I have a 3 year old boy, it isn't the same. When the time comes, I bet my husband would appreciate me taking the girls grocery shopping with me, and leave him to do one on one bonding time with our son.

Posted by Blogger mrs.izzy @ Wednesday, May 21, 2008 12:58:00 PM #
 

those contraptions are incredible!! I want one for NOW. Im getting really tired a lot with the twin weight, maybe my boyfriend could wheel me round in one....

Posted by Blogger screamish @ Saturday, May 24, 2008 10:59:00 AM #
 
<< Home