Friday, November 16, 2007

Poppin' Tot Shots

W: I appreciate all the questions and comments about the photos that we post on our site. I love photography, and early on I was lucky to have great resources around me that inspired my inner-Annie Leibovitz. My dad took tons of photos when we were younger, and I used his 70's Minolta in my high school photography class. That class led me to snap photos for my high school newspaper and yearbook my senior year. I inhaled a lot of developer, stop bath, and fixer fumes in my younger days.

The most common question that folks ask in the comments section is what type of camera I shoot with. I shoot with a Nikon D200. It is a wonderful machine, and I'm lucky to have it (thanks, Dad!). I prefer to shoot my D200 with a fixed 35mm f/2.0 Nikkor lens, which has beautiful depth of field and is super sharp. Between those two things, the camera and the lens, the most important piece is the lens, not the camera.

I prefer fixed lenses because they are sharper than zoom lenses. If I need to get closer or further away, I move my ass forward or backwards. It's pretty simple, really, and I think the results are worth the extra movement.

But really, neither the camera or the lens has anything to do with good photography. Having good equipment might make taking photos easier, but they don't take the pictures, you do. When I was getting up to speed on the D200, I found this wonderful website, www.kenrockwell.com, and then stumbled upon his thoughtful essay, "Your Camera Does Not Matter."

Read the essay - Mr. Rockwell speaks the truth. Really, it's like anything else - take golf, for instance. In golf, if you don't have the passion for game or the desire to learn, it wouldn't matter one iota if you used Tiger Woods's clubs, you aren't going to be any good. Ever. The exact same is true with photography. So don't go spend a ton of money expecting wonders unless you've got the desire to learn about the craft.

Now, a quick note to all those parents who raised children in the age before digital photography: HOW DID YOU DO IT?!??

I have a newfound respect for you old school film-shooting parentals. Good lord! You must have wasted so much film on awkward shots, closed eyes, heads-turned, drool...roll upon roll, shot upon shot. I don't think I could have endured, so my hat's off to you. Onward to the next shot...and then the next. Thanks for watching.

DSC_0199.JPG

Posted by Walker Lockhart @ 2:08 PM

Read or Post a Comment

Hey Walker!
Thanks for the lens tip. I am renting a 35mm from Glazers this week to try it out.

I have the 50mm fixed prime 1.8 but its hard with both of mine in the kitchen/bedroom so hoping your wider lens might help!

Archana
PS- I love fixed lens too!

Posted by Blogger A, mama of twins @ Tuesday, November 20, 2007 2:22:00 PM #
 
<< Home