Monday, July 09, 2007

Good eats

D: The last few weeks, we’ve attempted to tantalize the Deuce into the world of solid foods a few times here and there, but have been met with the universal sign for "yuck" each time, telling us that they just aren't ready. I haven't pushed it, since I'm not entirely sure it's necessary for them to eat anything else but milk and formula for quite some time.

Some people (my pediatrician included) told me to start them on rice or oat cereal, in a bottle, around 4 months. Others tell me that rice cereal holds no nutritional value what so ever and could actually lead to diabetes. I've heard that it's OK to give them juice and mashed up bananas, yet others say no-way-José on the sugary sweet stuff. I know tons of people that have been experimenting with their children's pallets since they were around 4 months old, yet I keep reading that the American Academy of Pediatrics recommend that you wait until they are 6 months. I haven't even begun to try to figure out all the different foods that can cause allergic reactions.

It is crazy how confusing it can be, when really it's just the most basic human instinct there is.

To be honest, there are other reasons why I've put it off that have to do less with pediatrician recommendations and more to do with convenience. I can imagine once the Deuce get a taste for something they like, and start to have fun mashing food all over themselves and their clothes, there's no turning back. Then it's time to buy the high chairs, the bibs, the food grinder, those cute little rubber spoons, etc.

Don’t get me wrong; I am really looking forward to it. There's nothing more that W and I enjoy than to prepare good food for us, which of course will translate to yummy goodness for our kids. It just seems like an adventure I am not entirely sure that we are ready to take yet. Breast-feeding is still going really well, and I suppose there is part of me that is afraid that solid foods will interrupt their satisfaction with the boob.

Never the less, yesterday I concocted a delicious mixture of baby oats, breast milk, and an apple that I threw in the blender. I heated it up slightly and spooned it first to F. He promptly gave me the Yuck Face and followed with some over dramatic gagging sounds. OK, I get the picture.

Next, was O. His reaction was quite difference this time. He immediately seemed surprised that he had never experienced such sweet morsels and became quite passionate about each bite. Of course, most of it ended up all over his clothes, his hair, his neck, and his mom; but he was having a blast trying to get it to stay in his mouth.

I tried again today, with leftovers from yesterdays batch. O amazed me with very quick recall of what to do with the spoon and the food. We actually got quite a bit more into his mouth today, simply because it seemed like he knew what to do. I tried with F again, and sure enough, he was still not having any of it. Tomorrow, I'm going to try another food...maybe apples are just not his thing yet.

With all the confusion and rules surrounding first baby foods, I'm still wading in very slowly, even though we've completely skipped over the rice cereal in a bottle stage. The boys will be 6 months old in 2 weeks, and I'm sure by then they (and I) will be much more adventurous with their culinary gastronomy.


DSC_0300.JPG

DSC_0222.JPG

Posted by Walker Lockhart @ 10:31 PM

Read or Post a Comment

our first solids were winter squash, sweet potatoes with forumula and a little oatmeal.. it was almost 7 months before they started to swallow the stuff... even though we attempted at 4, 5, 6 months.. you have dogs, they will at least clean up the floors. We aren't so lucky.

Posted by Blogger A, mama of twins @ Wednesday, July 11, 2007 9:29:00 AM #
 

Don't worry about rushing them into food. We waited until 8 months before either of our kids had even a taste of anything other than breastmilk. Granted, I wasn't nursing twins, but they both took to food when it was offered and we didn't have quite as much time hassling with baby food since they went to table food pretty quickly. I'm planning on trying the same approach with #3 due in a few months.

Posted by Anonymous Anonymous @ Wednesday, July 11, 2007 9:53:00 AM #
 

Hi guys.

It's funny how every pediatritian has their own way of doing things. Ours said not to even worry about it until the 6-month mark. And then, don't offer the cereal in a bottle...use only a spoon.

We've yet to try and, honestly, I'm kindof nervous about it. #1 I don't understand why you have to give rice first. It has zero nutrients (besides it being fortified with iron) and I'm sure it tastes completely bland and gross! I'm been going back and forth on whether we should start with a vegetable or the cereal. #2 I've got this major fear that they will develop an allergy to something and I won't be able to detect it.

Just an overly-concerned mom I guess?

We've got the high chairs (if space is tight I HIGHLY recommend the Graco Contempo...they fold up to 7.5 inches wide!), the food mill, the cuisinart, the spoons and these sweet little 1 oz. containers that have lids (an alternative to ice cube trays, I suppose). I was overly excited to shop for all of the "solids gear" and now I am not excited to start them on it. It'll be fun eventually, but I just don't want to do it wrong...you know?

I made up a batch of sweet potatoes and some butternut squash. But, I might offer avacado first because it is high in fat and I'm trying to beef up my 11 and 12 pounders. Their 6 month appointment is right around the corner.

By the way...we've got the same shirt that one of your babes has on (the one on the left). And, we love our baby legs. I think we are going to get the flames next. What an awesome invention.

Good luck with the "solids adventure"...and keep us updated. I am always wondering how other moms are approaching this stage.

Posted by Blogger The Adventures of Carrie, Brook, Finn and Reid @ Wednesday, July 11, 2007 10:47:00 PM #
 

The solids thing is an adventure for sure. We also waited to introduce them to Wilson until he was 6 months old. He LOVES to eat. It is quite fun. Do not worry about doing rice cereal. Avocado is a great first food, as are bananas. Sweet is okay- breast milk is super sweet, so that is not an issue. Ann Keppler (have you heard of her- she is a registered nurse and a nutritionist and is one of the authors of the "Pregnancy, Childbirth and the Newborn) is amazing and offers a First Foods class that I highly recommend. I think it is offered on a quarterly basis. She really demystified the process for us and will hopefully make you feel both more confident and relaxed as you move forward. Check out the link to the class through the Community Birth and Family center-- http://www.communitybirth.org/classes&events.html

By the way, I am now very aware of who might be mentally calling me a f***ng breeder as a righteously make my way around town. I loved that posting- thanks for the laugh.

Ann

Posted by Blogger Ann Dicks @ Friday, July 13, 2007 10:47:00 PM #
 
<< Home