Monday, June 04, 2007

Cirque de Doe Bay

W: This past weekend D and I packed up the Deuce in the family truckster and headed out of town with some dear friends for a getaway at Doe Bay on Orcas Island. Orcas Island is a special place for D and me for many reasons, but it is especially so because I proposed to her there one October weekend a few years back. We try to return to the island at least once per year, and each time that we do, the island’s pull becomes stronger and stronger.

Call it a magical sway. As soon as we step out of our car and onto the ferry deck we can feel whatever we’ve been carrying around shed off like peeling layers from an onion. Slowly, the old cracked layers fall off and worries are forgotten as new experiences create memories that will be shared again and again around a table of family and friends for years to come.

Each visit to the island is a measuring stick that allows us to see how much we’ve grown or changed over the past year. Last year we returned from Orcas Island on the day before our anniversary. That next day, I returned home to find D grinning ear-to-ear and holding an anniversary gift in her hands. She ordered me to open it immediately, and I gladly complied. Out of the wrapped canister popped a pregnancy test that had a little pink “+” at one end. Forgetting that “+” is the universal sign for “positive,” I asked in a voice that I normally reserve for live sporting events, “WHAT DOES THE '+' MEAN?!” D cleared it up for me - quite an anniversary gift - and in and instant, we were dancing around our living room with the dogs jumping and barking. I think our good luck had something to do with the island.

Speaking of the dogs, like last year we brought them along for this trip, and they loved it even though they were relegated to the back of the truck with the rest of the cargo. Sedro played fetch all weekend while Chili Bean entertained us like a court jester. We always chuckle at the thought of Chili Bean returning to the wild, and it became one of our recurring weekend conversation topics.

At one point in the middle of the night after letting the Bean out to go potty, I called him to come back inside. Far off and away from our cabin, so much so that only the feint sound of his tinkling dog tag was audible, Chili Bean, clearly channeling the call of the wild, bounded towards me through the moonlit field of dewy grass so tall I couldn’t even see his legs. When he reached me, he was smiling with his wheezy pug grin, tongue out, and panting. I could barely contain my laughter so as not to wake everyone up.

Our friends and their three-year-old and six-month-old had a wonderful time too, despite the long drive, and the three-year-old’s mini-puke festival that may have ruined their portable DVD player and definitely ruined their Friday night’s rest (“Get the bucket!”). Our friends handle parenting with grace, and we learned so much from them. We will miss them in the Northwest, but we can’t wait to see them when we visit their new Midwest home.

And finally, the Deuce! They were wonderful little travelers that added so much to our Orcas Island experience. And by “added” I don’t just mean that they added to the love, but they also added to the gear. The amount of stuff we pack for a weekend has quadrupled even though our family has only doubled.

The little gubba-gubbas (my new word for them) are in what folks tell me is that nifty stage where they are interactive, but not yet mobile. Or at least that’s what I thought. On Saturday, I tucked O into his sun blocker tent to play with his fuzzy toys while I tossed the Frisbee. Ten minutes later, I was in trouble with D because O had rolled himself out of the tent and onto the deck floor. I agree with D: Babies don’t look right on a bare wooden deck floor. Oh well, I guess that’s how they roll (Ha! – I can’t wait to teach them that one.)

Well, that’s enough chitchat for now. Here are some pictures from the weekend:


DSC_0262.JPG

DSC_0115.jpg

DSC_0046.JPG

DSC_0106.jpg

DSC_0230.JPG

DSC_0207.JPG

DSC_0197.JPG

DSC_0163.jpg

DSC_0256.JPG

DSC_0270.JPG

Posted by Walker Lockhart @ 6:58 PM

Read or Post a Comment

AWWW, looks like you had a wonderful vacation! the pictures are great! your babies are growing up :) i hope you have a great relaxing week!

Posted by Blogger Doug & Stacy Fournier @ Tuesday, June 05, 2007 8:01:00 AM #
 

Hi! I just stumbled upon your blog and have already learned a few tips that I am sure to need soon. I am 34 wks pg with identical twin boys and will deliver on June 19th. I've been on bedrest for 14 weeks due to cervical problems as well. I just recently started a blog. Feel free to check out our story!

Posted by Blogger The Alpha Team @ Wednesday, June 06, 2007 1:59:00 PM #
 

Beautiful photos! I've only been to the island once. Sucha beautiful place.

Posted by Blogger pokettiger @ Wednesday, June 06, 2007 2:45:00 PM #
 

Makes me jealous...beautiful vacation but well deserved for the two of you!
Happy Anniversary!
Dana, you look amazing!
Court

Posted by Anonymous Anonymous @ Thursday, June 07, 2007 12:55:00 PM #
 
<< Home